Thursday, July 10, 2008

The excitement builds...

So, one thing I've never experienced before (and hadn't anticipated) in connection with a con, was the flurry of press releases and invites that fly around in the weeks leading up. Maybe because I've never been smart enough to apply for a press pass, but it seems I've gotten myself on the mailing list for all (or at least a lot) of the messages being sent out to the press corps. Some of the things that I've been privy to (and keep in mind, the emails only started coming yesterday afternoon, which is when I'm guessing the mailing list went live):

  • IDW announced that Joe Hill will be a comic-con guest of honor (!) and will be signing special limited-edition slipcased sets of Locke & Key (exciting!). Also, Darwyn Cooke will be announcing a new project, and Ben Templesmith (Fell, 30 Days of Night) will be premiering an exclusive ashcan of his new line Welcome to Hoxford.

  • THQ is hosting an exclusive party Thursday night for the video game Darksiders: The Wrath of War, which was created by Joe Madureira. No info is posted as to what consoles it is for, but either way, I doubt it will be avilable for Wii. (Man, I'm such a girl)

  • Sex Drive, a new movie being billed as the "next American Pie", is having advanced screenings in LA before the Con starts. The movie features James Marsden and Seth Green, which means I will be there. I'll let you know how it is once I see it!

  • Will Wright will be making a speech on opening day, about his new game Spore, and how the comic book creator makes it easy to bring your character to life in a comic book setting.

  • Midway is hosting a panel to discuss the new game Mortal Kimbat vs. DC Universe, which sounds exciting, but then I remember that every time I tried to play Mortal Kombat, all of my Street Fighter moves didn't work. My brother totally kicked my ass. Where is Dhalsim when you need him?!? YOGA FIRE!

  • Shout! Factory announced a 20th Anniversary DVD box set for MST3K, with all major players and even the robots appearing in a reunion panel during the con. Wonder if they'll show any movies?

  • And finally (so far), the UK series Spaced will be launched on DVD in the US, so Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) will be appearing, and there will be a screening late Friday night.

That's all for now, kids. I'll keep you posted as things develop!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my name of captain, I like comic of japan of naruto episode

JSchroeder said...

Street Fighter II is the sophisticate's choice.
Mortal Kombat is for luddite's. It's even spelled wrong.