Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Interesting News

So, I was reading the Hollywood Reporter this morning as I usually do with my AM schedule, to catch up on what's going on in the industry (important in my line of work), when I stumbled across this very interesting piece of news.
Apparently, Vertigo's recently cancelled (and consistently genius) line Exterminators, has been optioned into a TV show by Showtime. This is pretty interesting to me, not only because a comic that I enjoyed will be adapted, but also because these aren't things that happen overnight. From the little that I know about the process, they've been in discussion on this for months. I know that Vertigo lines are creator-owned, but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have caught wind of this, and maybe wanted to hold off on the cancellation until this panned out. Now there's going to be (hopefully) a second wind of demand for this line, and no new issues will be made. Seems kind of "cart before horse", no?

Then again, in the article Simon Oliver does say that he originally conceived of the book as a TV pitch, so maybe once that got rolling he had something to do with the line being cancelled?
I don't know. Either way, it should be an interesting show, that's for sure.

On a related note, it does seem that I'm seeing more and more comic books being optioned for shows and movies. I know this is an age-old practice, but has anyone else noticed the recent feverish upswing this has taken? I mean, an Elfquest movie was announced today, Millar followed up Wanted with the announcement that Kick-Ass (only 3 issues in!) will be a movie too, Whiteout is also getting the treatment, Warren announced Red was going to Summit for a movie, and Ocean is over at Warner Bros, AND Goon is going to be given the movie treatment by Fight Club's David Fincher. And that's only the things I've heard about in the past month!

Anyone else just a little bit breathless about it?

No comments: