Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Digging Through Dina's Archives

As you all know, I was recently organizing my (sadly enormous) collection this past week. One of the things that became obvious was the amount of ridiculous stuff I've been hauling around for years, from apartment to apartment. Every so often, I'm going to share one of these gems with you, dear readers. Here's the first installment:


This book, published in 1985, is just about the pinnacle of comic existence, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner yet, so you're going to have to deal with the blurry shots taken on my digital camera.

The premise of the story, without ruining it for you (if that's at all possible), is that a race of beavers protect a structure called the Time Dam, which is the force that manages the space-time continuum in all dimensions, through all of history. The bad guys (of course there are bad guys) are, understandably, the beavers' only natural predators, the rat. These rats thrive on chaos, and want to destroy the Dam in order to throw all time dimensions into anarchy. (Simple enough, right?)

The dam book opens with a look at our dam protagonists:



Basically, there's Doc (The one with the glasses), Slapper (the captain), Mac (the one with the funny sayings and chipped teeth), and Shiner, the one with the, well, Shiner.

Then, the story progresses to the great lodge, where our heroes are told to travel to earth, throughout its history, to prevent the rats from undoing pivotal points in the evolution of man.


(Into the Reality Breach? That's what they should have called this whole comic...)

Ok, so moving on, we get a good look at our villains:


You gotta give these guys credit, though-they invented Splinter before TMNT! (And check out the SWEET chicken-head helmet on this guy!)

This book is full of gems, but I'll leave you with this final shot-I hate to ruin it for all of you who are planning to run out and buy this book, but the last place in Earth history the Beavers travel to is Berlin, 1945, where the rats try to give Hitler the Atom bomb. Here's our friend, Captain Slapper, telling Hitler what he should do instead:


I know that all of you are just foaming at the mouth to get your hot little hands on this magnificent piece of comic history, so I'm willing to give up my one and only copy to one lucky reader. Email me, dinasaurus [at] gmail [dot] com, and tell me what you plan on doing with this creation/why you are most deserving. One of you will have your very own, VERY RARE gift from me!

No comments: