Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Weekly Spotlight











Every week (or as often as I get suggestions, if it's running slow...), I'm going to highlight one "undiscovered" talent in the industry. All decisions as far as what determines talent, and what determines undiscovered are solely at my discretion. Feel free to nominate someone you think deserves it by emailing me.

This week's Spotlight shines on Shawn McCauley. Shawn is a 26 year old artist from Connecticut, where he and I met during my brief flirtation with the University there. As payment for keeping in touch all these years, he gets to be the inaugural Spotlight Talent. Good show, old chap!

Shawn is currently working on the art for a 4-issue series from Markosia, called The Ritual. This is Shawn's first work for money, so hopefully it's a banner year for Markosia! From the pages I can see on his portfolio, it's looking pretty tight.


So, here's where it gets fun. I sent Shawn an 8 question survey, which he HAD TO answer, under penalty of death, which is reprinted in its entirety here:

1)What's the most embarrassing book in your collection?

-I have two for two sides of me. The artist side of me is embarrassed in actually buying the 2004 X-Force books written and illustrated by Rob Liefeld. When I was a kid I loved Rob Liefeld's X-Force. But in 2004 I knew was was good art and bad...and I still bought his comics...so ashamed...
The comic...and male side of me is embarrassed to have a Shojo Beat book. If you don't know, that's a Japanese comic that features stories oriented to...girls. In my defense, I got it for free at a comic book convention. The embarrassing thing is I actually read it, and it's sitting on my bookshelf.

2)What's your favorite thing that you've made?

-My wolf logo. That thing looks so cool. I may be pretty arrogant in doing this, but I put it on everything I own-my hats, my bag, my shirts...it's so cool-looking.

3)Which character do you most want to put it to, and why?

-Put it to? Man I hope you mean sex or I'm about to embarrass myself pretty bad right now. I'd say Sara Pezzini Witchblade. Long dark brown hair, big boobs and a mystical battle armor that rips off her clothes when summoned...what man wouldn't love that?

4)What writer do you think can do no wrong?

-There's a ton of awesome writers out there, but I've never read a Frank Miller story I didn't like.

5)Why do you, at 26 years of age, still read comics?

-Why do people at 26 years of age watch TV? Go to the movies? Read a book? Comics are a story-telling media with all the visual appeal of a movie and the portability and convenience of a paperback book...it's quite possibly the perfect media.

6)What would you do with all the money you spend on comics, if you didn't spend it on comics?

-We can spend money on things other than comics? Like what? WHAT ELSE HAVEN'T YOU TOLD ME?!?!?

7)What superpower do you wish you didn't have?

-Didn't have? Is that a typo? (It's not.) Cause I don't really have any I wish I didn't. I suppose I wouldn't want the superpower of Marrow of X-Men. Who's Marrow? EXACTLY. Her powers suck. (Gotta say, the boy's got a point.)

8)Make up a question and answer it.

What is your favorite costume to see at a comic con?

-Darth Vader. There is ALWAYS at least one guy dressed as the Dark Lord of Sith...and I love hunting for him among the crowds. I saw a picture on a blog once of a Hello Kitty Darth Vader, I want to meet him one day...


Well kids, that just about wraps up this week's Spotlight Talent. Be sure to send me your suggestions for any unsung heroes in the industry at dinasaurus [at] gmail [dot] com-I won't bite! (No promises.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was the coolest interview i ever did. Very nice touch with the links. Now its time for me to just sit back and get famous......

-Shawn