Monday, April 7, 2008

My Name is Dina, and I Read Comics

After deciding to tackle the job this weekend of organizing my comic books, and finishing days later with a terrible backache, I had a realization.

I am a comic book geek.

I know, I know, it's a hard truth to accept, but all the signs are there:

a)Buy comic books on a regular basis? Check.
b)Follow specific writers and artists and stay "up" on the industry? Double check.
c)Go to *gasp*! comic book conventions, sometimes even out of state? Resounding Check.


Wow.

This is not something that everyone just glancing at me would know. One reason being the fact that I am 25 years old, and, well, a woman.

I've been getting the sidelong glance for years in comic shops-every time I entered a new one there would be the period of adjustment where the staff and regulars would wait me out, to see if I was simply shopping for a boyfriend, or for myself.

I've never been treated poorly (save for my awful shop in Astoria NY), but of course, just being a girl is enough to make anyone take notice.

I'm sure I'm not the only girl out there who gets all sweaty and out of breath each time a new Ex-Machina issue hits the stands-come on, I know there's more of you out there!

Regardless, I've decided it's about time I shared my thoughts on my favorite books, as well as other random musings with the rest of the world. Hopefully I can help some new people stumble on some great reading!

No comments: