Monday, April 14, 2008

An open letter to Robert Kirkman, writer of The Walking Dead

Dear Mr. Kirkman,

As you may well know (from my previous blog entry, of course), I received a recommendation for TWD from a "celebrity'. When someone (at least semi-)famous tells me to read something, well, I read it. And as I like to pretend that I have lots of disposable income, I picked up the first two trades on my next trip to the shop. Wow. Let me state for the record that I hate all things Zombie. Night of the Living Dead annoys me, and I can't stand those stupid Zombie Emergency handbooks everyone's buying now like zombies actually exist. I want to punch all of those people in the solar plexus, truth be told.
However, holy balls. This comic rocks my face off like a karaoke version of "My Heart Will Go On", except instead of sucking, that's how much it rocks. (Go on, click the link, you know you want to...) I went out and picked up all the other trades that were out, and have been reading individual issues ever since. I've recommended TWD to just about anyone who will listen to me, and have lent out my copies to countless people who don't even read comics. (Now they do, of course...)

Ok, so now that I've throughly kissed your ass:

W T F!?!? I just finished issue 48, and I just want to state for the record that I hate you. Hate you, hate you, hate you.

That is all.

Sincerely,

-Dina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I finally gave up on all things Kirkman a couple months ago. I'd been buying his stuff mostly out of habit for a while. He has a pretty solid track record of starting things awesome and then turning to crap in the middle game. Invincible, Marvel Team Up, Walking Dead...all blew my mind at one point or another, but then nosedived hard into suckitude.

WD in particular I stuck with for a while, because I thought it had the most obvious legs of all his premises--not like a movie "event", it was about a survival lifestyle, which was pretty cool. But he ran out of ideas for that, or just decided he liked shock and sadism better (that's the only thing a lot of his readers took away from the book anyhow), and it became a weird exploitation book about torturing all his characters. I stepped off for good after Michonne's rape/revenge story.

DinaIsAwesome said...

Oh man, you missed the boat on this one completely-read issue 48. It's a love/hate thing. Promise.

Although I understand you on the whole Michonne thing-I kinda waited for that part to be over. I'm really curious as to where he's going to go following this issue, I gotta say.