Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Funny Comic Stories, MAD TV Edition

So, this past July I moved to LA, and needed to find a new comic shop. I (regretfully) parted from my beloved Cosmic Comics in NY, and landed by way of a few reccommendations at Golden Apple.

Turns out, I really like this place. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the new releases are arranged in a way that makes sense. Not to mention, the staff picks each week are generally spot-on. (And I don't mean to get anyone in trouble ot anything, but I've been getting the "new customer discount" for like, 9 months now...)

So, I head there for one of my Wednesday stock-up sessions, and I'm waiting in line at the counter. The clerk is talking up a storm with the guy ahead of me, who looks really familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Then he turns around and sees me.

"Whoa, what is this WOMAN doing in a COMIC BOOK STORE?!?1"

I'm pretty used to this, so I just turn to him and say "I'm here pretty often...", figuring he was just some jerk. Then he and the staff people start going through my stack and evaluating my taste as they're checking me out, and saying things like "ooh, Faker! That one's so good!" and "Oh, she's on Volume 8 of Preacher, almost done..." and then he turns to me and suggests Walking Dead, and I'm all "I'm not really into Zombies", and he insists it's good so I write it down and all this time I feel like I know him from somewhere but I'm still kind of miffed at the delay/invasion of privacy and so I'm a little bit cold which in retrospect I shouldn't have been when it hits me:

I'm talking to Phil LaMarr: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0482851/

No way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, what is this WOMAN doing in a COMIC BOOK STORE?!?

You should have said, "Trying to hide from black people."