Thursday, April 17, 2008

List Time!!

Soooo, I was listening to Weezer's In The Garage this morning when it hit me: They reference not only 12-sided dice and Ace Frehley, but also Kitty Pryde and Nightcrawler! It got me thinking about what other songs out there reference comics.
Believe me, there are tons-Barenaked Ladies name-check Aquaman, and we all know about that 3 Doors Down song, but who does it with style?

Without further ado, I bring you:
Dina's Top 5 Comic-Referencing Songs!

5)Rancid-Sidekick: This song isn't all that great, but they definitely get bonus points for the lyrics: "Wolverine was sad/and it made him mad/Every single cop/got a bullet in the head". We all know how I feel about Wolverine, so I'm kind of a sucker for this song.

Okay, moving on:

4)Donovan-Sunshine Superman: You gotta give this song some credit for not only referencing TWO superheroes, but doing it in 1966, waaayyy before it was fashionable. The money line in this case is "Superman and Green Lantern ain't got/uh nothin' on me". Bonus points for the GL shout out (My favorite!), and BONUSBonus points for the weird kitten-eating scene in the video. WTF?!?!

3)Pop Will Eat Itself-Can U Dig It?: This song is basically one long string of references. They mention Marvel, DC, Alan Moore, V for Vendetta, AND Bruce Wayne. Bonus points for throwing in Optimus Prime, and the Furry Freak Brothers. BONUSBonus points for harking back to that scene in The Warriors.

2)Anthrax-I am the Law: Man, I'm no huge Anthrax fan or anything, but this whole song is just a gigantic Judge Dredd reference. Bonus points for sticking to a theme, BONUSBonus points for this.

And the Winner is...

1)Soulja Boy-Crank That: So, yes. This song is completely played out, overplayed, and done with. Yes, it's cheesy and gets stuck in your head way too easily. HOWEVER, you gotta give credit where credit is due. Supermanning that Ho? Who thinks of this? I don't care who you are, that's still hilarious. Bonus Points for the Spiderman remix, which is even worse.

Honorable Mentions go to:
-Mr. Fisk by Lightspeed Champion for managing to call out Spiderman, Mary Jane, Dark Phoenix, AND Bruce Banner.
-Here He Comes by Will Smith for reworking the original Spiderman theme song to prove that he can still rap after all those years of living in Bel Air.

No comments: