Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Whose responsibility is it?

So, one of the topics I've noticed come up again and again in online forums, blogs, and con panels is that of the financial status of the comic industry. Many times over I hear the discussion about how reading comics online is bad (duh, just like listening to music or watching movies), and that trade-waiting just a terrible thing to do, since they don't help the continuation of the series and generate less revenue.

I'm honestly sick of this argument. If you don't want people to buy one of your products, then why do you even have that product? It's stupid to offer a version of your work but then complain (or even SCOLD) your fans for purchasing it. I don't buy the trades of any comics I currently read, mainly because I'm too impatient to wait. However, I don't think I should be made to feel guilty if I did. Trades have many selling points to them that single issues don't. For starters, they contain a whole story. Instant gratification. They're also more durable and conducive to sharing. When I want to show one of my friends a comic that I think they'd like, I certainly don't feel comfortable handing them single issues, but I have no qualms about loaning out as many trades as they'd like. (Which actually, when this happens, brings you more people who are exposed to your work and might even buy something!) Not to mention they simply look better on a bookshelf, which leads me to believe they're the better long-term investment.

I understand that most comic creators, artists, and all around employees aren't rolling in the dough. But let's face it, neither am I. I empathize that you'd like to have as much of my money in your pocket as possible and that it costs a significant amount of money to create a comic. I'm all about you guys turning a profit and living comfortably while entertaining me. However, I honestly don't think that people buying trades instead of singles is going to fix this industry. Comics are the only medium I've heard of that can SELL ADVERTISING in the product itself, and yet can't manage to maintain a reasonable price while remaining a profitable venture.

I truly believe that it's the industry itself and its monetization schemes, rather than how many of us wait for the collected works, that needs to be under the microscope here. Not to mention the fact that making your fan feel bad for being the kind of fan they are is certainly not the way to gain more fans.

To be honest, it's situations like this that make me regret ever doing anything more than reading the issues. I enjoy reading creator blogs and hearing opinions on forums and getting a much more in-depth experience on the books that I read each month. However, if you told me that one of my favorite bands was at a concert and telling people that they're not real fans if they bought the general admission tickets rather than the much more expensive front row seats, I guarantee you I'd never be going to one of their shows again.

Buck up, and fix your company. It's not my responsibility to spend more money on an equivalent product just because your endeavor can't figure out to how to make its financials work. I have a budget to balance, too.

No comments: