Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Can we discuss...

Iron Man?

More importantly, the end of Iron Man?

More specifically, the appearance of Nick Fury following the credits?

Dear Marvel,

What the fuck?

Sincerely,

The girl who had never thought that Samuel L. Jackson looked anything like Nick Fury.

If I wanted to see Samuel L. Jackson playing a badass, I'd go watch Pulp Fiction. Or Snakes on a Plane. Or Shaft. Or any other fricking movie he's ever done.

Samuel L. Jackson, while I throughly loved Pulp Fiction as much as the next guy, is suffering from what I call Denzel Washington syndrome. He's too overexposed, and he always plays the same guy. I no longer see the characters these guys are playing, I see these guys acting as their characters. Same with Tom Hanks, and Julia Roberts, but Samuel L Jackson is certainly the largest offender and the most deeply pigeonholed out of all of them.

Want someone who can play badass as well as SLJ, Marvel? Why not hire Chiwetel Ejiofor? He was sick as the bad guy in Serenity, and could knock Nick Fury out of the park. Or what about Jimmy Jean-Louis? He is perfect as The Haitian on Heroes, and could Fury with the best of them. I'm disappointed in your stunt casting, Marvel.

Not to mention, I could swear that this was what Nick Fury looked like. I understand you "reimagined" him for the Ultimate version, but I was hoping it was a limited stunt. Tsk tsk. Whatever happened to staying true to the comics? Rewriting the comics to fit the movies doesn't count. Shame on you.


(But I do have to say, the movie was pretty tight. 9/10. Would have been a 10, but the final scene where Obediah is blown up totally should have annihilated Tony as well. Stretching, but I'll accept it.)

5 comments:

JSchroeder said...

I'm guessing you haven't read The Ultimates, which is Marvels version of the Ultimate Avengers.
Came out a few years ago and is still running (albeit a terrible book now). The first two volumes were great. Anyway, "Ultimate" Nick Fury was very much based on Sam Jackson. I'm sure this motivated that casting call.
I'd post a pic here, but I'm not nearly internet savvy to do so.

JSchroeder said...

HAHAHAHA. Just read the rest of the post.
Nevermind. I suck.

Anonymous said...

You're forgetting SLJ's other crucial role: Ray Arnold.

Radical Reminders said...

Found you via jeff e's new blog (http://comicvirgin.blogspot.com/)
I just saw Iron Man over the weekend and LOVED it mostly except for the fact that they made Pepper look like a total idiot... "ooooh i'm scared to push the button..." "Maybe i should wear huge huge heels to go fight the bad guy..." "I'll stand here and look helpless because i'm just a wee bit woman..."

Anyway :) Otherwise, great movie :)

The Facts are out! said...

Now watch near the end of 2008's Incredible Hulk...Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark says much the same thing to the character General Ross...hmm...seems like an Avengers movie is in the making!!