Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ok, the weekly update

Here's my take on what I've read so far this week:

SkyDoll #1: This book is actually a bestseller in France-it's part of a new project by Marvel to translate and publish some of France's best stuff. If they're all like this one, I think the project will be successful. (Although the $5.99 price tag stings a little, they're huge issues and well worth the money when you consider how much you pay for a paperback these days...) So, this story is actually about an alternate future (kind of looks like Snow Crash a little bit for the nerds who read that book), where there are these sex dolls that are created solely for purposes of "pleasure", although they can talk and interact and have personalities (although limited). I won't go into much detail from there because I don't want to ruin the story for you, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and will definitely be picking up #2. (Also, it will be interesting to see how far Marvel takes this comic, considering they dropped The Boys because of the graphic content, and this line seems to have it in spades. We shall see...

DMZ #31: What can I say about Brian Wood that I haven't already? DMZ is one of my favorite books to read each month, and this issue was no exception. We had a rousing speech, parental interference, a lovers' quarrel (?), a personal moment of principle, some fabulous art (seriously, some of the nuance in this issue is second to none), and *gasp* oh no! Pick it up.

Shoot, I've got a lot of work piling up. I'll finish later.

No comments: